The Whittle Estate
Our clients' site is a business estate occupied by a mix of industrial and commercial businesses. On this occasion they experienced a total loss of electrical supply. Below is a transcript of the event:
The Incident (Thursday 20th September):
- 04:10 - EME Power Systems received a call from the clients' electrical building consultant informing of a total loss of supply to their site.
- 04:15 - After verifying with Western Power Distribution that there were no reported incidents on their network an EME Power Systems Authorised Person (AP), Senior Authorised Person (SAP) and cable jointer were despatched to site.
- 06:30 - 07:00 - EME Power Systems engineers arrive on site and carry out an investigation to the cause of supply loss.
- 07:30 - The likely cause of the problem was identified as being a cable fault.
- 08:30 - We achieved a partial restoration of the electrical supply.
- 08:30 - 10:15 - The clients' network is "fault sectionalised" and the faulty cable section is located.
- 10.30 - The remaining power to the site was restored.
- 11:30 - Our EME Power Systems Fault Location Test Van arrived on site. With the appropriate tests ran, the cable fault is subsequently identified.
- 13:00- 17:00 - A Civils team arrive on-site where (under direction of EMEPS staff) a joint hole is excavated to expose the fault, ready for repair.
The Repair (Friday 21st September):
A team of cable jointers and SAP carry out the repair. The works are pressure tested and the HV network is returned to its original status by the end of the day.
A large part of our success is attributed to our swift call-out service and this is a good example of how quickly EME Power Systems are able to respond to an incident and begin working on a resolution.
EME Power Systems reacted quickly when we needed their assistance, their technical expertise, the level of equipment that they had at their disposal as well as the way in which the incident was managed meant that our business experienced a minimum level of disruption. We were very impressed.
Pete Scott (electrical consultant)